Wednesday, June 27, 2012

In the depths of despair... once again!


Well, today is day one post Tom Price living.  And it sucks!!  I made the very difficult decision (for both my finances and love life:) 4 weeks ago to end my time in the glorious, ever warm Pilbara.  But it really didn't seem real until yesterday, as I flew over glorious North WA for the last time.  I landed in Perth, in the pouring rain, feeling like it was a symbol... the whole of the world was crying with me!  And I thought I was done with the punched in the face look... (circa February 2011) 

It's amazing to think that 18 months ago I thought I'd made the worst decision of my life... god, how things change!

I had such a great last weekend in TP.  It's making me teary to think about now.  I really need to keep these tears in check as I'm surely  on the brink of being dangerously dehydrated...

Friday did not start well.  I fell off my bike on the way to work, splitting my helmet near in half.  Lesson learnt though... do not attempt to ride with no hands.  Plus, it was pretty embarrassing!  Nursing my whiplash, I struggled through the day, in need of a serious drink!  That night, friends joined me for a final red breeze (my fave!) dinner.  It was so nice!  And I even managed to take half of my guests to the pub!  

At Red Breeze 

On Saturday, I finally packed... amazed at what I managed to accumulate!  I then enjoyed mulled wine with friends and a final night at the Tom Price pub.  Predictably, coins was played.  I'm seriously thinking of quitting physio to become a professional coins player... it combines 2 of my best talents, drinking and throwing money away:)  

With Lilli, Haines, Gina and Jayden
Jase, Gina and Tbag
On Sunday, Jayden took me out for my first trip ever to magic pool... and it was magical!  If only if was warm enough to swim.  I think to camp there is reason enough to return to TP.  I had to laugh though, Jayden picked me up, to take me out to the middle of nowhere, with a huge hunting knife in between us on the seat!  I had to inform this is not usually a winner for the ladies:)  I love listening to his stories about growing up in Karijini and I'm going to miss his friendship a lot.

Magical Magic Pool
Then came what will be forever known as: Miserable Monday.  Work put on beautiful lunch for me, but suffice to say it was bittersweet.  Beth gave a truly lovely speech and I looked back over the past 18 months.  I'd like to think I've really changed... that there's a little bit of red dirt in me forever now:) I've even held reptiles for goodness sake!  I couldn't have worked with a better group of people, who really did make my time in Tom Price so happy! That night I said good bye to Gina, my Pilbara bestie, who no doubt saved my life all those months ago.  I kept my fluids up after all the tears and managed to play my last game for our undefeated KD's.  To look at some pictures of the day check out lovely Lou's blog; http://lafe-lunarover.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/red.html  


World's best colleagues
So I start my new job on Friday, and I'm really terrified it won't live up to TPDH... aka the best job any physio could ever have!  In fact, I'm terrified about everything!  I can't believe how much I miss Tom Price already, it turned out to be the best thing I ever did!!  For my career, and myself.  I've made lifelong friends, and realised what an amazing, and vastly different state I live in.  I'm so proud of myself and what I've achieved.  It's been unforgettable, I can only hope the rest of my life's journey will live up to it:)  Things have a way of turning out though don't they?  And, as I write, I'm already planning my next trip to Tom Price for the healthy kids week in October... the Pilbara certainly hasn't seen the last of Mons...  Watch this space:)

1 comment:

  1. Mon-O!! Miss you so much. Was a latecomer to your blog but have really enjoyed reading it and will miss that too. Hope you are having a miserable time in your new job and come back soon xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete