Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Gurrimarra


Yesterday I had an amazing experience at one of the communities, Wakathuni. Every Monday we have 'Waka club', where we try and instill upon the kids their culture, as well look at their reading, writing, fair play etc. An Aboriginal elder, Brendan, came out to speak to the kids about their culture as he is concerned it is getting lost with each new generation. He taught us about the 4 different skin groups in the Pilbara, and who you can marry. This ensures that your blood doesn't become 'too pure' as you can't marry family. The groups are Gurrimarra, Bunuga, Burungu and Milangu. He made me an honourary Gurrimarra:) He also talked about love being made up of three facets, respect, caring and sharing. It was fantastic to be a part of, but also made me realise how little I know about a huge part of our history. I hope this year I can go some way towards rectifying that. And to make it even more worthwhile, check out the amazing double rainbow that arched over the road as we left. I could even see exactly where it landed... I almost felt like looking for a pot of gold. As we drove off all the Aboriginal kids jumped in the car with Brendan to 'chase the rainbow'.

No comments:

Post a Comment