Sunday, April 3, 2011

Karijini



I just arrived home from a fantastic karijini camping trip! Some friends from Perth, Brosey and George, flew up to meet his sister in Karratha and a whole Karratha crew convoyed down to the gorges... and they picked me up on the way which was pretty nice!!

Yesterday we headed out to Weano, where we did Handrail and Kermit's pool. Unfortunately I don't have any photos as we literally had to swim through gorges to get there. I didn't trust my arm to hold a camera above water! They were category 5/6 hikes... not for the oldies! We then headed back to the campsite for a makeshift barbie. I impressed myself with my tent assembling skills... but encountered a bit of a disaster when I eventually climbed into bed. We had pumped up my air mattress with a compressor, which was a new and EASY experience, but I had failed to notice the mouth-hole, for additional air filling. Sadly I left it open and my mattress deflated in no time. It made for a very rocky and uncomfortable night...

Today we did Joffre Falls, Fortescue Falls and Fern Pool. Fern Pool was AMAZING! You can't even capture it with photos, and I can't put it into words. I did see three snakes today, one Pilbara Death Adder... and two Olive Pythons. A python was hanging out just above us in the waterfall... cooling down? When we hopped out of Fortesuce Falls to make the big trip up we noticed a big commotion in the water. Looking down we saw a python, swimming, stalking its prey! It was terrifying, and it managed to catch something... I'm glad we saw it AFTER we got out!

No comments:

Post a Comment