Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Labour Day Long Weekend


I'm writing this entry after a really fantastic long weekend with Curo! It was so nice to have a non bogan/ non pregnant friend around! We drove out to Dales Gorge on Saturday. It was the most magnificent thing I've ever seen! I'm glad I didn't go alone though... I led us off the track for a bit and we came across a snake... typical, I seem to attract the native wildlife! Only a baby snake, but it was more than enough to put me off being the team leader. (We went with a locum doctor from Canada and I was quite glad to have her expertise...). We got down to Circular pool first, which was a category 4 walk and required a fair bit of fitness. We even had to climb down ladders cemented into the rock face! It was so boiling so we decided to have a swim in the pool, it was beautiful! Feeling like we were in the most secluded spot ever, I decided to get changed where we were. I I took my top off and was standing there completely nude, when I looked up to see 2 English tourists. I'm sure they raved about the sights the Pilbra had to offer!! They must have thought we were very knowledgable Australians and so followed us into circular pool... When we eventually got out the English boys were covered in leeches!! Very small ones... still foul! We looked back into the water and noticed that the hundreds of black smears were not the black 'leaves' we originally thought....We were ok though, I think because we were slathered in sunscreen. Why the pasty Englishmen were not so sun smart is beyond me? After that, we headed to fortescue falls. I never dreamed I'd see a waterfall in the middle of the Pilbra?? We made sure to double check the water before swimming here...

The next day Curo and I decided to 4WD up Mt Nameless. (We weren't 100% sure how to put the car in low gear (it was an automatic 4WD) so I was a bit anxious to start with, especially seeing as it is the boss' car! Driving up was an absolute nightmare!! Some of the path had been washed away with the ridiculously long wet season Tom Price has had... we even got momentarily bogged. I was SHITTING myself, I actually didn't even look out the window. When we got to the top I cried, out of sheer relief to be alive! It was SO worth it though, the view was phenomenal.

We also went out to the lookout, ate at the local Thai restaurant and spent a couple of nights at the pub (mostly drinking with my patients... small towns can be very awkward!). I think Curo's best moment was finishing the 500 piece puzzle I started a couple of weeks ago, and promptly gave up on!

As lovely as it was, I'm feeling a bit sad again, and rocking the 'punched in the face' look I've made famous here. I was just getting into a rhythm, and having damn entertaining Curo here has thrown that out of whack. I'm back to square one tonight... wondering why on earth I did this to myself? Did I want to have the hardest year of my life???

No comments:

Post a Comment